If you need to remove paint imperfections from your car, boat, wood kitchen table, or anything else that needs buffing, you need a good buffer. Today we’re here to look at the best automotive paint buffers out there. We want to help you find the right model for whatever project is at hand and we want to help you save money too. Let’s take a look at the top 5 best professional car polishers and buffers available on the market right now.
- DEWALT DWP849X 7-Inch/9-Inch Variable Speed Polisher with Soft Start
- Makita 9237CX3 7-Inch Variable Speed Polisher-Sander with Polishing Kit
- PORTER-CABLE 7424XP 6-Inch Variable-Speed Polisher
- Neiko 10671A 7-Inch Electric Polisher and Buffer
- Rupes LHR21ES Big Foot Random Orbital Polisher
DEWALT DWP849X 7-Inch/9-Inch Variable Speed Polisher with Soft Start
A fine option to go with, the DEWALT DWP849X Variable Speed Polisher has a ton polishing ability, it’s durable, and convenient to use too. It’s clearly one of the best car paint buffer on the market right now.
- The DEWALT DWP849X Variable Speed Polisher comes complete with a 12 amp motor with a max power output of 1,250 watts. This allows the polishing head to spin anywhere from 0 to 3,500 rounds per minute. This allows you to choose the proper buffing speed for any and all jobs in your way.
- This is a variable speed polisher, which means that you can select the speed yourself. The DEWALT DWP849X Variable Speed Polisher has a conveniently placed trigger to allow you to choose the speed that works best for the project you are working on.
- The soft start feature included with this model is very useful because it allows you work your way up to speed slowly instead of starting off at full speed, thus making life quite a bit easier.
- The DEWALT DWP849X Variable Speed Polisher comes with a solid construction with all ball bearings, plus heated treating and precision cut steel gears. It also comes with a very nice case to protect the inner components. This model also comes with special wool ingestion shields to prolong the longevity of it. All in all, this is a very durable option to consider. We are confident that it will last us for a long time to come.
- The DEWALT DWP849X Variable Speed Polisher is also very comfortable to use. It features both the normal handle on the side, plus a 3 position bale handle. It only weighs 6.7 pounds, making it a very lightweight option. In other words, it’s a very comfortable car paint buffer that you can use for hours on end without getting tired. The handles all have a good grip with an ergonomic design to make it as user friendly and comfy as can possibly be. We really like how comfortable it is.
- Finally, this model comes with a simply hook and loop pad, which means you can easily change the accessories without the need for special tools. It’s a big bonus for us when tools are easy to use.
- On/Off switch may break after prolonged use
- Motor tends to wear out after prolonged use
Makita 9237CX3 7-Inch Variable Speed Polisher-Sander with Polishing Kit
Yet another good choice to consider, the Makita 9237CX3 comes with all of the features you would expect from one of the best car paint buffer.
- We really like the soft start feature that the Makita 9237CX3 comes with. This allows you to slowly increase the speed of the buffer without causing the polish or wax to go flying everywhere. We don’t like being covered in goop, so this is definitely a big bonus.
- We like the comfortable handle setup of the Makita 9237CX3. It features a simple to use 3 position bale handle as well as the classic rear handle. Both handles have an optimal amount of grip on them to give you good traction. They are ergonomically friendly in order to be both comfortable and easy to hold for a long time without fatiguing your hands. This is something we appreciate when it comes to big projects.
- The Makita 9237CX3 is designed with only the most durable of components. The gear system is built to last for a long time to come. Moreover, we really like the mesh motor cover that protects the intake and prevents wool fibers and other things from getting sucked into the motor. Durability is a must have feature in our eyes.
- We do also like how the Makita 9237CX3 has a fairly powerful variable speed motor. It is easy to choose the speed you want with the simple to use variable speed dial. Simply set the speed that you need to fit the job at hand. It’s also pretty neat because the Makita 9237CX3 can maintain a fairly consistent speed even when there is a good deal of pressure being applied to it.
- This may not be all that important, but we do appreciate how the Makita 9237CX3 comes with a blade wrench and a carrying bag too. These little accessories and bonus add-ons are things that we definitely appreciate.
- Back plate is somewhat fragile
- Tends to get very hot – may burn out with overuse
PORTER-CABLE 7424XP 6-Inch Variable-Speed Polisher
This particular model is one of the smaller and lighter automotive paint buffers available right now, but that does not mean that it cannot do a great job. It has more than enough power for most jobs, it’s quite comfy to use, and it’s very reliable too.
- One of our favorite parts about the Porter-Cable 7424XP Polisher is that it features a removable and adjustable handle. This handle can be put in two different positions, either on the right or the left of the buffer, making it easy to switch positions and switch sides without having to hold the Porter-Cable 7424XP Polisher in an awkward position.
- You might also like how the Porter-Cable 7424XP Polisher has a 4.5 amp motor. This motor is very powerful, it has overload protection, it won’t overheat, and it can provide you with lots of polishing power. The polishing head, which is 6 inches in size, can move anywhere from 2,500 to 6,800 rotations per minute.
- Even better in our opinion is that the Porter-Cable 7424XP Polisher does come with a speed dial. You can choose to set the speed to fit the job at hand with ease. The dial is conveniently placed so you can make on the go speed adjustments without having to put the sander down.
- The full ball bearing construction, the overlead protection, the solid casing, and the roller bearings are all things which make the Porter-Cable 7424XP Polisher extremely durable. It also features a grating over the motor intake so that no fibers get sucked into the motor. We’ve been using this model for quite some time now and it still manages to bring its A-game every time.
- We do like the smaller 6 inch pad that this particular automotive paint buffer brings to the table. It’s great for smaller detail jobs, but maybe not as much for really large jobs. However, to solve that problem, the Porter-Cable 7424XP Polisher can accept 5/16 to 24 spindle accessories. You can easily change the buffing head to suit your needs.
- The other thing you might like about the Porter-Cable 7424XP Polisher is that it does not even weigh 6 pounds. We could use this model for hours on end thanks to its lightweight and comfortable design.
- Variable speed settings are a little lacking
- Tends to get extremely hot
Neiko 10671A 7-Inch Electric Polisher and Buffer
This is one of the slightly heavier and larger options that you can consider. While the Neiko 10671A Electric Polisher may not be the lightest on the market, it certainly has more than enough power for any job you could put in its path. It has a big comfort factor, it’s quite durable, plus it has a couple of other really neat features too.
- One of the things that we really appreciate about the Neiko 10671A Electric Polisher is that it features a trigger lock mechanism. This is a really cool and convenient feature that many other buffers out there at this time do not have. This lets you lock the trigger into place so that your fingers don’t get tired holding it down.
- Another thing that we really like about the Neiko 10671A Electric Polisher is that it comes with a really comfortable handle. The handle is actually a multi-position handle that can be switched from the right side to the left side of this model. This means the left handed and right handed people can use it with ease. Moreover, it’s convenient because both vertical and horizontal jobs are easily done.
- What is actually pretty cool about the Neiko 10671A Electric Polisher is that the heavier weight of it makes some polishing jobs easy. Jobs that would usually require lots of downward or horizontal pressure are aided by the weight of this machine. In other words, it’s a little heavy, which means that you don’t always have to apply as much pressure, thus making life quite a bit easier for you.
- Yet another thing that really stood out to us about the Neiko 10671A Electric Polisher is that it is a very durable buffer. It features an all ball bearing build for extreme longevity. It also has a very heavy die-cast aluminum head, which is about as strong as a buffer head can get. Also, the motor intake protection system stops fibers from being sucked in and damaging the motor.
- Another thing that we like about the Neiko 10671A Electric Polisher is that it comes with a very reliable 1,300 watt motor. This is more than can be said for other buffers of the same size. This allows the buffing head to spin anywhere from 1,000 and 3,000 rotations per minute. While it is not the fastest moving buffing head, it does have great speed control in the sense that it won’t slow down when you apply a bit of pressure. Moreover, there are six different speeds that you can choose from fit your specific needs. The variable speed dial is located in a convenient place so you can make adjustments on the fly
- Heavy weight of this item may make it tiring to use
- Extremely loud
Rupes LHR21ES Big Foot Random Orbital Polisher
This Italian made best orbital buffer might be the last one on our list today, but it is actually one of our favorites. It has a superior build and design, making it comfortable and durable, plus it has more than enough buffing power for virtually any job. The fact that it is a random orbital polisher is a big standout feature here.
- Without a doubt, the best feature of the Rupes LHR21ES Orbital Polisher is that the pad spins and moves in random directions. Yes, most professional car polishers and buffers do a fine job at dealing with the paint, but their circular motion also tends to make spirals and wax holograms on the surface, thus making for weird and unfinished look. This model, with its random orbital motion, helps to keep these wax swirls at an absolute minimum for the best finished look. We have to say that we are extremely pleased with the performance of the Rupes LHR21ES Orbital Polisher, especially in terms of the finished product.
- We do like the handles on the Rupes LHR21ES Orbital Polisher. The front handle is a simple yet effective grip that allows users who are left or right handed to use it with ease. The handle works just fine for both right and left handed people.
- Another thing that we like about the Rupes LHR21ES Orbital Polisher is the soft start feature. This allows this model to slowly get up to speed without flinging wax through the air. On that same note, the anti-spinning feature helps keep the Rupes LHR21ES Orbital Polisher at a fairly low speed, thus avoiding the scratching of your car and the too-quick dispersal of wax or other buffing agents.
- Something else that really stands out about the Rupes LHR21ES Orbital buffer is the electronic feedback control. Simply put, if you put more pressure on the buffer it will speed up and vice versa. It will always remain constant in speed, which is a big bonus when you want the finished product to look nice and even.
- Another thing that we really like about the Rupes LHR21ES Orbital Polisher is features an awesome large 21 mm throw. This means that it can remove scratches and paint imperfections much faster than most buffers and polishers out there.
- Quite expensive
The Best Automotive Paint Buffers – Final Thoughts
Before you go out and make your final purchase, just be sure to take some time to compare various models to one another. Each of the 5 best automotive paint buffers listed above are excellent options to consider, but they do have some differences between them. Just make sure that you know what you need from your tool and you will be able to make a good purchase and select best car paint buffer the first time around.
Latest posts by Ben Williams (see all)
- How To Clean Aluminum Rims With Household Products - March 12, 2018
- Holding the Shine: The Best Car Wax for White Cars - February 15, 2018
- What Is The Longest Lasting Car Wax? - January 22, 2018